Facial Pre-Treatment & Aftercare
The information provided within this document should be followed by all patients prior to receiving IPL/Laser treatment and after the treatment is administered. It is crucial to the health of your skin and the success of your treatment that you read and follow ALL guidelines contained in this document.
We cannot treat your skin if you:
- Have broken skin or have suffered an injury within the last 7 days.
- Have a cold/flu/infection or any symptoms of being rundown/exhausted (or within the last week).
- Have active cold sores.
- Inform your therapist if you are using:
- Retin-A, Renova, Differin (Adapalene 0.1%), Tazorac (or within the last 6 months).
- Any products containing Retinol, AHA or BHAs or benzyl peroxide.
- Any exfoliating products that may be drying or irritating.
- Antibiotics orally or topically.
- St Johns Wort or any known product that makes your skin sensitive to light (within the last 3 months).
- Steroid creams – prescribed by your GP.
- Any prescribed skin treatment creams.
- Gold Medications – gold salt injections for arthritis prevention.
- Or have used Roaccutane or isotretinoin (within the 6 months)
- Have ever used any tanning products such as beta carotene supplements or gummy bears.
Inform your therapist if you have any of the following:
- Have any history of melanoma or any other form of skin cancer.
- Have open wounds, sunburn, excessively sensitive skin, dermatitis, or inflammatory rosacea in any
area of your skin.
- Individuals with a history of allergies, rashes, or other skin reactions, or may be sensitive to
- Have active cold sores or warts.
- Have received chemotherapy or radiation therapy.
- Women who are pregnant or planning pregnancy.
- If you are going on holiday and expect sun exposure within the next four weeks.
- Suffer from Vitiligo.
- Have a history of keloid scarring.
- Poorly controlled diabetes.
- Suffer from Porphyria or epilepsy.
- Have had surgery or minor surgery (within the last 6 months).
- Have had any other procedure over the treatment area (in the last 3 months).
If you have any questions or queries about anything prior to your first treatment or during treatment courses, please do not hesitate to contact us.
After treatment, the skin will be cleansed, and skin barrier protection will be applied to prevent environmental sensitisation.
We recommend that post-treatment:
- Your skin should not be exposed to UV (sun exposure or tanning beds) for at least a week following
treatment. Use of an SPF 50 plus is advised for when you are outside and in the sun for very short
periods (i.e. necessary for daily life), however, sunbathing/sitting in the sun/tanning beds/prolonged
sun exposure should be avoided altogether no matter what sunblock you are using for at least 1
weeks following treatment. (Please ask about the brands we stock/recommend).
- Wash with cool water (at least tepid) and not hot for the next 48 hours.
- Avoid hot baths, showers, swimming, steams rooms, or saunas for 24 hours.
- Do not use any products that may be drying or irritating for 48 hours.
- Do not use any bleaching creams or perfumed products for 48 hours.
- Keep the area clean and dry post-treatment.
- Do not use any creams, lotions, or prescribed treatments on the treatment area without consulting your practitioner for at least 48 hours.
- The treatment area should not be picked, scratched, or rubbed vigorously for at least 48 hours post-treatment.
- No strenuous exercise/activity for at least 24 hours.
- Drink plenty of water (6-8 glasses per day).
- Avoid wearing makeup for at least 6 hours after your treatment.
- Do not undertake any other facial treatment for at least 1 week after your treatment.
- No excessive alcohol consumption for at least 48 hours post-treatment.
It is crucial for the health of your skin that for the months following treatment, you take time for self-care, including:
- Eat a healthy balanced diet with adequate quality hours of sleep.
- Drink plenty of water (we recommend 2-3 litres per day depending on workload and heat stress).
- Hydrated bodies are efficient at clearing out toxins.
- Healthy skin requires a good blood supply and toxin drainage, so please carry out physical activity/stretching for at least 20 minutes per day.
- Ensure that you continue to care for the skin, we recommend natural skin oil (please ask about our signature Tone & Defence Skin Oil) and sun creams that we have selected.
- Take time for a few minutes of breathing daily and practice kind introspection.
If you have any questions or queries about anything experienced post-treatment, please do not hesitate to contact us.
In an emergency please call/text 07527 296 919 or email email@example.com and we endeavour to get back to you as soon as possible. We are here to help, advise and ensure that your treatment is safe and effective.