IPL Laser Pre Treatment & Aftercare
The information provided within this document should be followed by all patients prior to receiving IPL/Laser treatment and after the treatment is administered. It is crucial to the health of your skin and the success of your treatment that you read and follow ALL guidelines contained in this document.
We cannot treat/test your skin if you:
- Have experienced “holiday” sun exposure in the last 4 weeks and/or have a tan.
- Have a cold/flu/infection or any symptoms of being rundown/exhausted (or within the last week).
- Have active cold sores.
Inform your therapist if you are using:
- Retin-A, Renova, Differin (Adapalene 0.1%), Tazorac (or within the last 6 months).
- Any products containing Retinol, AHA or BHAs or benzyl peroxide.
- Any exfoliating products that may be drying or irritating.
- Antibiotics orally or topically.
- St Johns Wort or any known product that makes your skin sensitive to light (within the last 3 months).
- Steroid creams – prescribed by your GP.
- Any prescribed skin treatment creams.
- Gold Medications – gold salt injections for arthritis prevention.
- Or have used Roaccutane or isotretinoin (within the 6 months)
- Have ever used any tanning products such as beta carotene supplements or gummy bears.
Inform your therapist if you have any of the following:
- Have any history of melanoma or any other form of skin cancer.
- Have active cold sores or warts.
- Have open wounds, sunburn, excessively sensitive skin, dermatitis or inflammatory rosacea in the area to be treated.
- Individuals with a history of allergies, rashes or other skin reactions, or maybe sensitive to infection/spots.
- Have received chemotherapy or radiation therapy.
- Women who are pregnant or planning pregnancy.
- If you are going on holiday and expect sun exposure within the next four weeks.
- Suffer from Vitiligo.
- Have a history of keloid scarring.
- Poorly controlled diabetes.
- Suffer from Porphyria or epilepsy.
- Have had surgery or minor surgery (within the last 6 months).
- Have had any other procedures over the treatment area (in the last 3 months).
- Have a cold/flu or any symptoms of being rundown or exhausted (or within the last week).
If you have any questions or queries about anything prior to your first treatment or during treatment courses, please do not hesitate to contact us.
After treatment, the skin will be cooled, and skin barrier protection will be applied to prevent environmental sensitisation.
We recommend that post-treatment:
- The skin should not be exposed to UV (sun exposure or tanning beds) for at least 4 weeks following treatment. Use of an SPF 50 plus is advised for when you are outside and in the sun for very short periods (i.e. necessary for daily life) however, sunbathing/sitting in the sun/tanning beds/prolonged sun exposure should be avoided altogether no matter what sunblock you are using for at least 4 weeks following treatment. (Please ask about the brands we stock/recommend).
- Wash with cool water (at least tepid) and not hot.
- Apply topical products with care (delicately for 48 hours post-procedure).
- Avoid hot baths, showers, swimming, steams rooms or saunas for 24 hours.
- Do not use any products that may be drying or irritating for 48 hours.
- Do not use any bleaching creams or perfumed products for 48 hours.
- Keep the area clean and dry post-treatment.
- Do not use any creams, lotions or prescribed treatments on the treatment area without consulting your practitioner.
- The treatment area should not be picked, scratched or rubbed vigorously at any point throughout your treatment course.
- If you are having a body treatment, we also recommend wearing loose clothing on the day of the treatment and up to 24 hours post-treatment.
- No strenuous exercise/activity for 24 hours.
- No excessive alcohol consumption for at least 48 hours after your procedure.
- Eat a healthy balanced diet with adequate hours of sleep.
- Drink plenty of water (2-3 litres per day we recommend).
If you have any questions or queries about anything experienced post-treatment, please do not hesitate to contact us.
In an emergency please call 07527 296 919 or email email@example.com and we endeavour to get back to you as soon as possible. We are here to help, advise and ensure that your treatment is safe and effective.