Micro-needling General Information & Aftercare
The information provided within this document should be followed by all patients receiving Micro-needling treatment and after the treatment is administered. It is crucial to the health of your skin and the success of your treatment that you read and follow ALL guidelines contained in this document.
Purpose: This treatment is designed to improve the texture and appearance of your skin.
Inform your therapist:
- If you are taking any medication prescribed / non-prescribed.
- If you are suffering from poor sleep quality, stress, poor diet, pain, injury or anything relating to your general health.
Patients who should NOT be treated:
- Those who have recovered from any form of illness within the last week.
- Individuals with active inflammation, congestion, spots, cold sores or warts.
- Individuals with open wounds, sunburn, excessively sensitive skin, dermatitis or inflammatory rosacea in the areas to be treated.
- Individuals with a history of allergies, rashes or other skin reactions; or if you are sensitive to infections.
- Individuals who have taken Accutane within the past year, or have received chemotherapy or radiation therapy.
- Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding (lactating).
- Individuals who have any history of herpes simplex.
- Individuals who are run down, suffering from illness or have immune system-related diseases.
- Take any form of medication that triggers your immune system.
One Week Before
Avoid these products and/or procedures prior to your Micro-needling treatment:
- Depilatory creams
- Please inform the aesthetician if you are having any other procedure over the treatment area. This may affect your suitability for treatment.
Two to three days before
- Retin-A, Renova, Differin (Adapalene 0.1%), Tazorac.
- Any products containing Retinol, AHA or BHAs or benzyl peroxide.
- Any exfoliating products that may be drying or irritating.
- Any harsh products or procedures over the treatment area.
These guidelines MUST be followed:
- DO NOT USE ANY SOAP/WASHING AGENTS/CHEMICALS ON THE TREATMENT AREA UNTIL 48 HOURS POST PROCEDURE.
- ENSURE THAT NO SOAP/WASHING AGENT/CHEMICAL COMES INTO CONTACT WITH THE TREATMENT AREA FOR 48 HOURS POST PROCEDURE.
- HYDRATE AS OFTEN AS POSSIBLE TO RELIEVE DRYNESS OR TIGHTNESS OF THE SKIN THAT MAY BE EXPERIENCED.
- When washing your face, do not use any scrub products, massage using your hands. When washing use COOL WATER only.
- Immediately after washing with water apply a generous layer of hydration (we recommend using the Clear Medical Tone & Defence Formula).
IF YOUR SKIN IS RED/PINK/SWOLLEN 48 HOURS + POST-PROCEDURE: USE ONLY COOL WATER, NO SOAP OR CHEMICALS TO COME INTO CONTACT WITH THE SKIN UNTIL THE SKIN RETURNS TO NORMAL. Continue to hydrate the skin as often as possible, rest and eat a healthy balanced diet.
- Use a mild moisturiser/sunscreen with an SPF 50. We recommend using Clear Medical Tone & Defence Skin Oil on a regular basis to ensure the skin is hydrated (take care to be as delicate as possible).
- Avoid direct sunlight for at least 4 weeks post-procedure.
- Patients with hypersensitivity to the sun should take extra precautions to guard against exposure immediately following the procedure as they may be more sensitive following the Micro-needling treatment.
- Please avoid strenuous exercise for 1-week post-procedure.
- Approximately up to 48 hours after the treatment your skin will absorb nutrients more efficiently. Hence it is crucial to hydrate your skin as much as possible (we recommend using the Clear Medical Tone & Defence Skin Oil).
- Do not have another facial or body treatment for at least 4 weeks after your Micro-needling treatment. Although, for best results, we prefer you have no other treatments carried out over the treated area for 12 weeks post-procedure.
- You may resume the regular use of Retin-A, alpha-hydroxy acid (AHA) or beta-hydroxy acid (BHA) products or bleaching creams ONLY after 2 weeks post-procedure. Please ask your aesthetician if you have any queries.
- No alcohol consumption until the redness has subsided and you are sure the skin is healing. Also, reduce or do not smoke during this period.
In an emergency, please call or text 07888 918 757 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and we endeavour to get back to you as soon as possible.
We are here to help, advise and ensure that your treatment is safe and effective.
Adverse Experiences Which May Occur
Your skin may be red/swollen than usual for 2-5 days post-treatment. It is common and expected that your skin will also be itchy and/or irritated. Swelling and burning are normal immediately after the procedure which normally subsides up to 24 hours post-procedure. Please call the office/email us immediately if you have any unexpected problems after the procedure.
Lack of effect: Although most people experience improvement in their skin, not every patient notices that their skin improves after this procedure. The lack of visible improvement is not an indication that the Micro-needling treatment was unsuccessful. If you do not notice visible improvement, please note that you are still receiving all the benefits of the Micro-needling treatment, such as stimulation of collagen production, improvement of skin tone and texture, diminishment of fine lines and wrinkles and increased nutrient uptake of the skin post-procedure.
Reasons Why Results May Not Be Visible
There are a number of reasons why a patient may not have visible improvement. Reasons may include:
- Having treatments regularly with a short interval between Micro-needling treatments.
- Frequent use of Retin-A, AHA or other resurfacing agents prior to the micro-needling treatment.
- Carrying out lots of resurfacing treatments on a regular basis.
- Severe sun/skin surface damage.
Appropriate skin evaluation by your skincare professional prior to your Micro-needling treatment is important and will help predict the outcome of your treatment. Please understand that the efficiency of the Micro-needling treatment varies depending on the individual being treated, their skin health and what you want to achieve. In other words, the degree of visible improvement is variable.
If you have any questions or queries about anything, please do not hesitate to contact us.