Micro-needling General Information & Aftercare
The information provided within this document should be followed by all patients receiving a Micro-needling treatment at Clear Medical. Prior to receiving treatment (and after the treatment is administered) it is crucial to the health of your skin and the success of your treatment that you read and follow ALL guidelines contained in this document.
Purpose: This treatment is designed to improve the texture and appearance of your skin.
Patients who should NOT be treated:
- Individuals with active cold sores or warts
- Individuals with open wounds, sunburn, excessively sensitive skin, dermatitis or inflammatory rosacea in the area to be treated.
- Individuals with a history of allergies, rashes or other skin reactions, or may be sensitive to infection.
- Individuals who have taken Accutane within the past year, or have received chemotherapy or radiation therapy.
- Women who are pregnant or breast feeding (lactating).Please inform the aesthetician if you have any history of herpes simplex.
One Week Before
Avoid these products and/or procedures prior to your Micro-needling treatment:
- Depilatory creams
- IPL/Laser/LHEPlease inform the aesthetician if you are having any other procedure over the treatment area. This may affect your suitability for treatment.
Two to three days before
- Retin-A, Renova, Differin (Adapalene 0.1%), Tazorac
- Any products containing Retinol, AHA or BHAs or benzyl peroxide
- Any exfoliating products that may be drying or irritating
These guidelines MUST be followed:
- DO NOT USE ANY SOAP/WASHING AGENTS ON THE TREATMENT AREA UNTIL 36 HOURS POST PROCEDURE.
- ENSURE THAT NO SOAP/WASHING AGENT COMES INTO CONTACT WITH THE TREATMENT AREA FOR 36 HOURS POST PROCEDURE.
- HYDRATE AS OFTEN AS POSSIBLE TO RELIEVE DRYNESS OR TIGHTNESS OF THE SKIN THAT MAY BE EXPERIENCED.
- When washing your face, do not use any scrub products. Massage using your hands when washing using water only.
- Immediately after washing with water apply a generous layer of hydration (we recommend using the Clear Medical Tone & Defence Formula).
- Use a mild moisturiser/sunscreen with an SPF of at least 20. We recommend using Clear Medical Tone & Defence Skin Oil on a regular basis to ensure the skin is hydrated (take care to be as delicate as possible).
- Avoid direct sunlight for at least 1 week.
- Patients with hypersensitivity to the sun should take extra precautions to guard against exposure immediately following the procedure as they may be more sensitive following the Micro-needling treatment.
- Please avoid strenuous exercise during this time.
- Approximately 48 hours after the treatment your skin will absorb nutrients more efficiently. Hence it is crucial to use as much hydration product as possible (we recommend using the Clear Medical Tone & Defence Skin Oil).
- Do not have another facial treatment for at least 2 weeks after your Micro-needling treatment.
- You may resume the regular use of Retin-A, alpha-hydroxy acid (AHA) or beta-hydroxy acid (BHA) products or bleaching creams ONLY after 2 weeks post procedure. Please ask your aesthetician if you have any queries.
Adverse Experiences Which May Occur
Your skin may be more red/swollen than usual for 2-3 days post treatment. It is common and expected that your skin will also be itchy and/or irritated. Swelling and burning are normal immediately after the procedure which normally subsides up to 24 hours post procedure. Please contact us immediately if you have any unexpected problems after the procedure. Lack of effect: Although most people experience improvement of their skin, not every patient notices that their skin improves after this procedure. Lack of visible improvement is not an indication that the Micro-needling treatment was unsuccessful. If you do not notice visible improvement, please note that you are still receiving all the benefits of the Micro-needling treatment, such as stimulation of collagen production, improvement of skin tone and texture, diminishment of fine lines and wrinkles and increased nutrient uptake of the skin post procedure.
Reasons Why Results May Not Be Visible
There are a number of reasons why a patient may not have visible improvement. Reasons may include:
- Having treatments regularly with a short interval between Micro-needling treatments.
- Having skin peels regularly with a short interval between peels.
- Frequent use of Retin-A, AHA or other peeling agents prior to the micro-needling treatment.
- Severe sun damage.
Appropriate skin evaluation by your skin care professional prior to your Micro-needling treatment is important and will help predict the outcome of your treatment. Please understand that the Micro-needling treatment is not an exact science and the degree of improvement is variable.
Prior to your treatment, if you have any questions or queries please do not hesitate to get in touch with us.