Radio Frequency and Vacuum Suction Pre-Treatment & Aftercare
All patients should follow the information provided within this document before receiving radiofrequency treatment and after the treatment is administered. It is crucial to the health of your skin and the success of your treatment that you read and follow ALL guidelines contained in this document.
Purpose: This treatment is designed to firm and tighten facial skin, including areas around the eyes or mouth, cheeks/jowls, chin and neck areas. Radio Frequency can be carried out over most body areas also.
Inform your therapist:
- If you are taking any medication or using any product topically prescribed/non-prescribed.
- If you suffer from poor sleep quality, stress, poor diet, pain, injury or anything relating to your general health.
- If you have had sun exposure in the last week. For treatment suitability, we advise that you avoid sun exposure for a week prior to your treatment.
Patients who should NOT be treated:
- Those who have recovered from any form of illness within the last week.
- Individuals with cold sores or who are run down, suffering from illness or have immune system-related diseases.
- Individuals with open wounds or sunburn.
- Individuals who have taken Accutane within the past 6 months or have received chemotherapy or radiation therapy.
- Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding (lactating).
- Taking any form of medication that is for cardiovascular disorders.
One Week Before
Avoid these products and/or procedures before your radiofrequency treatment:
- No other facial/body treatment can be carried out, DIY or professional over the skin area.
- Please inform the aesthetician if you have any other procedures over the treatment area. This may affect your suitability for treatment.
Two to three days before
- Retin-A, Renova, Differin (Adapalene 0.1%), Tazorac.
- Any products containing Retinol, AHA or BHAs or benzyl peroxide.
- Any exfoliating products that may be drying or irritating.
- Any harsh products or procedures over the treatment area.
Less is more. Therefore, we advise you to nourish and treat the area with caution and sensitivity. Thus, preparing the skin for treatment.
Post-procedure, the treatment area may be red or pink in colour, which may last for a few hours. It also feels warm to touch during this time.
YOU MUST follow these guidelines:
- The skin should NOT be exposed to UV (sun exposure or tanning beds) for at least 4 weeks following treatment. Use of an SPF 50 plus is advised for when you are outside and in the sun for very short periods (i.e. necessary for daily life) however, sunbathing/sitting in the sun/tanning beds/prolonged sun exposure should be avoided altogether no matter what sunblock you are using for at least 4 weeks following treatment. The treatment area should be moisturised/nourished twice a day with moisturiser also. (Please ask about the brands we stock/recommend).
- We advise that sun protection(SPF 30-50) is worn even if you are not outside(UV radiation is the non-visible spectrum of light and travels at low concentrations even at night. Therefore, the treatment increases UV sensitivity, so to be on the safe side please apply)
- Patients with hypersensitivity to the sun should take extra precautions to guard against exposure immediately following the procedure as they may be more sensitive following the Radio-frequency treatment.
- When washing your face, do not use any scrub products, massage using your hands and wash with COOL WATER only for at least 24 hours.
- Avoid hot baths, showers, swimming, steam rooms or saunas for 24 hours.
- Do not use anything topically on your skin that may be drying/irritating (e.g. bleaching or perfumed products)for 48 hours.
- You can apply makeup a few hours after your treatment.
- If before or after treatment, your skin feels dry please apply delicately small amounts of a light moisturiser regular throughout the day.
- DRINK PLENTY OF WATER (we recommend 2-3 litres of water per day depending on workload and heat stress) Hydrated bodies are efficient at clearing out toxins and helps keep you hydrated as you produce more collagen.
- No strenuous exercise/activity or alcohol consumption for 24 hours after your procedure
- Eat a healthy balanced diet with adequate quality hours of sleep.
- You may resume the regular use of Retin-A, alpha-hydroxy acid (AHA) or beta-hydroxy acid (BHA) products or bleaching creams ONLY after 2 weeks post-procedure. Please ask your aesthetician if you have any queries.
- We advise maintenance treatments (every 1-6 months) to help maintain results. Natural ageing will occur over time.
Immediately after treatment, the contraction of collagen fibres improves the elasticity of the skin, so your skin will appear firmer. This can be temporary as the production of new collagen takes time, and the best results are seen after your course of treatments (continuing 3-6 months after the end of your course).
Adverse Experiences Which May Occur
Bruising may occasionally occur after treatment with vacuum suction in delicate areas around the eye area. This can last up to 5 days but should resolve with no long-term effects.
Blistering is very unusual, but if this does occur, contact the clinic immediately for further advice. Keep the area clean and dry and allow it to heal naturally. Do not use any lotions or creams on open skin, as this may increase the chance of a scar occurring. Do not pick grazes or blisters – as this may increase the chance of a scar occurring. Once the skin has healed, a high protection sunscreen (SPF 50) should be used daily for 12 months to prevent pigmentation changes to the skin (these usually resolve within 6 months).
If you have any questions or queries about anything prior to treatment or anything experienced post-treatment, please do not hesitate to call 07527 296 919 or get in touch with us. and we endeavour to get back to you as soon as possible.
We are here to help, advise and ensure that your treatment is safe and effective.